One of the most important decisions which every business owner needs to make regarding the social media strategy of his/her company is whether to hire a digital marketing agency to implement it or to work on it internally. Both approaches to this dilemma have pros and cons, and the optimal solution depends on numerous factors. In this guide we will discuss what the responsibilities of digital marketing agencies are, what advantages and disadvantages hiring professionals entails, and when it makes sense to work with freelancers.
What Are the Standard Digital Marketing Agency Services?
What exactly a marketing agency would do for your business depends on your needs, expertise, budget, and the agreement between the two of you. Nevertheless, there are typical services which all agencies and freelance social media marketers offer to meet the needs and requirements of every single client who hires them. These include:
- Creating a social media strategy. If you are an absolute beginner and have no idea where to start with online marketing, an agency can put down the basics for you. They will study and analyze your business, your product, your customers, and your traditional marketing methods as well as what results they have been able to produce so far in order to develop a full social media marketing strategy. This will include which social media sites to use, what content to post, how often to schedule posts, when to share content, and many other things.
- Implementing a social media marketing plan. Putting your strategy down on paper is one thing, and actually implementing it is a totally different thing. While the former requires analytical thinking and evidence-based decisions, the latter entails lots of devotion, efforts, and hard work. If you don’t have experience in creating digital content and scheduling posts on social media platforms or don’t have the human resources to allocate to these tasks, any good digital marketing agency will be able to do this for your business.
- Creating content. Making social media posts is not as easy as it might sound. It requires diligent research on trending topics among your target users as well as on the optimal format for them. Some audiences prefer images, while others prefer videos, while yet others prefer blog posts and articles. Once you have figured out these details, you need to create the content to go on your social media accounts. The benefit of hiring an agency is that within their team they have experts on all types of digital content including photos, infographics, videos, blogs, and anything else you can think of. Thus, they will be able to create high-quality, unique, professional posts for your brand.
- Scheduling posts on social media. Creating content is obviously not enough. The next step in implementing your social media strategy is posting the content on your accounts. Needless to say, a digital marketing agency can handle this for you too. There’s no need to be worrying about finding out the best time to post on social media and then being online at this time.
- Engaging with users. The ultimate purpose of posting on social media platforms is to attract the attention of leads, right? That’s why optimizing social media engagement is crucially important. As soon as you start getting the first reactions to your social media posts – whether likes, comments, or shares – you should start engaging with users. If your posts are really popular and successful, this might translate into hundreds or even thousands of engagements. If you don’t have the time to devote to responding to each one of these interactions, a social media marketing agency can do this for you.
- Tracking performance. As soon as you start posting on social media, you should start tracking the performance of your content. It is important to notice what type of content, what format of posts, and what time of posting produce the best results so that you can adjust your social media marketing strategy for maximum results. Once again, that’s something that can be easily and efficiently handled by an agency.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Hiring a Social Media Marketing Agency
The fact that a digital marketing agency can handle all aspects of your social media plan doesn’t necessarily means that this is a good idea. Just as everything else, working with an agency comes with both pros and cons. Following are the most important benefits and drawbacks which you should take into consideration before making your final decision.
- Professionalism: A digital marketing agency team comprises of different social media experts which means that your strategy will be prepared and implemented professionally. They have the knowhow to create and schedule the optimal social media posts for any industry.
- Time- and cost-efficiency: Unless you already have an experienced social media marketer in your company, putting together a social media marketing plan will require a lot of time and effort. On the other hand, an agency can get you started quickly to begin to see the results of your social media posting right away. Moreover, it is very likely that hiring an agency will cost less than hiring a full-time person as a part of your team as agencies are used to and capable of doing things efficiently.
- Accountability: The best digital marketing agencies are frequently paid based on results and achievements rather than deliverables. Many get paid when you witness a certain level of social media engagement or a specific amount of traffic to your website from social media platforms. This means that an agency is motivated to do the right work in the best possible way for you in order to get their money.
- More time to devote to other tasks: If you delegate social media marketing to an agency, your employees will have the time needed to work on other crucially important aspects of your business. While building a brand online is key, so is developing your product, adding new features to it, and optimizing user experience.
- Lack of industry expertise: While a digital marketing agency hires many different professionals, they are usually experts on best practices in the social media industry and not other fields. It’s not possible for an agency to have employees who specialize in real estate, finance, insurance, medicine, education, and others unless it is really sizeable. This means that the content they produce might not always be 100% optimized for your specific industry. This issue can be solved by having someone from your team collaborate with the agency on content creation in addition to checking all social media posts before they get published.
- Last of devotion: A social media agency works with many different clients, so they don’t feel personally involved with the business of any of these clients. What agencies really care about is making money from social media rather than you getting more leads and converting them into customers. A social media strategy prepared by an agency might feel a bit detached and impersonal.
Should You Hire an Agency or DYI?
So, what are your thoughts? Should you hire a digital marketing agency to take care of your social media marketing strategy or should you do it yourself?
Actually, the best answer to this question depends on a few different things. Most importantly, you should consider if any of your company employees has previous experience in social media or you’d need to hire someone new who’s not familiar with your business. Moreover, you need to take into account how complex you want your social media engagement to be. If you plan to schedule a couple of posts a few times a week, it might be feasible to do it internally. However, if you want a comprehensive social media strategy with multiple platforms and numerous posts, this is likely to require a whole agency.
If you decide to skip the digital marketing agency and implement your brand’s social media marketing plan on your own, make sure to get access to the best social media management tools. These tools are guaranteed to help you save lots of time while scheduling posts on social media networks and to hit the best time to post on them. The social media scheduler and social media calendar have made publishing content more efficient and easier than ever before.
Sign up for a 7-day free trial of Studiorific now to start implementing your social media strategy with an ease.